66 of 89(74%)customers would recommend this product to a friend.
Customer Reviews for ThinkPad T420
Review 1 for ThinkPad T420
Worthy successor to my old Thinkpad
Date:February 28, 2012
"This is my second Thinkpad, which replaced my ultraportable x61; a fine little machine that blossomed me from a Thinkpad enthusiast to a full blown dedicated fan.
When the laptop is open:
And on a soft surface like my lap, it's aesthetic and uniformly sturdy, giving me a psychological edge by feeling that it's a worthy extension of my finest work. For me, this is paramount and worth the price in itself. I don't like feeling that my machine is flimsy or susceptible to wear and tear easily. They say you're as good as your tools and in this area, this is the best I've owned. I don't need to go into detail about how great the keyboard is but if you haven't owned a thinkpad, you've certainly heard the hype or you haven't done your research...
- I like the metal hinges, they're a nice touch and add to the rugged all business motif. - The area underneath the keyboard is sturdy and spacious. There are no hollow points and there is no creaking. - I like the green color scheme of the led indicator panel. Aside from this, the backlight of the power button is the only other place on the machine you'll find green. It's a nice touch against the black and red and brings a nice balance of color i feel. - The trackpoint buttons have a nice finish to them. It feels like a 60/40 mixture of rubber and plastic. Nice and sturdy feel. - I dislike and am disappointed in the touchpad. They did a lousy job with this. It's cumbersome and annoying to use. I avoid it. It's also awkward because the depth of the computer is so small. You have to cock your elbow out to use it. -On the note of disappointment, the dvd tray eject button couldn't be in a worse place. It's almost like some sadist put the button exactly where you naturally put pressure when you pick up the laptop. Annoying.
- Love the no gloss screen. The contrast resolution and back light are all much better than my old Thinkpad. Very happy
-Gotta love Thinkpad treats like the nifty lil keyboard light that hangs on the top of the screen. God I love that little guy. Great on planes or when you just don't want to get up to turn on the light.
When the laptop is closed:
- Despise the latch. Terrible job here. Chinsiest part of the laptop.
- Weight distribution is off between the front and the back wit the rear mounted 9 cell battery
Other than that it's a great brick-like, locked, sturdy package.
Running the laptop:
Has been a real happy experience for me in the 5 months I've owned it. The computer is fast, responsive. The three weak spots of the modern laptop seem to be the fan, hard drive, and heat. I don't have any issues with any of those three.
- I love the Thinkvantage software and firmware. The hard drive shock monitor gadget is a cornerstone of this machine. - Love the other Thinkvantage apps like Power Manager and Access connections. Most pc's come pre-installed with garbage, but thinkpads come with software I would actually pay for (guess I did, didn't I) but you know. - Love the fingerprint reader. I don't even use the power button.... ever. Swipe on swipe resume.
Putting away the laptop:
It's a great machine and a worthy one to be your companion if your someone who appreciates good quality. There are some major blunders in this model, but I'm able to forgive because the pros definitely outweigh the cons."
Thank you! You have successfully submitted a comment for this review.
Review 2 for ThinkPad T420
Date:March 16, 2012
"This laptop can be very unreliable. In my experience, I have encountered various issues such as:
a) the touchpad will die without warning. I will be using the touchpad to navigate on the computer and it will stop responding mid-scroll. The only way to get it responding again is to restart the computer
b) similar to the touchpad issue, the computer will, without warning, act as though I am holding down the control key. This is especially apparent when I go to type in a new URL, starting with "www." Before this issue, I didn't know that ctrl+w closes a window. Now I do know, thanks to my lenovo thinkpad
c) Blue screen occurs at random. Some days my laptop is especially fiesty, and will give me the blue screen three to five times in a single day. Everything stops, data is lost, and you have to take ten minutes to restart the computer.
I have had other issues as well, but those three are the most apparent and most unacceptable about this product. I do not recommend this computer."
Cons: Storage, Video card, Wireless card, Memory, Input/Output compatibility, Bluetooth, Keyboard/peripherals, Included Software, Software compatibility, Processor, Display performance
"So slow and unreliable. Sometimes the screen just goes black and I have to force the computer to go to sleep, which sometimes takes up to 30 minutes. When it turns back on, my entire web browser is just black and all the data and information from the tabs are gone. When I open a new tab, it's also black. The only way to fix this is by exiting out and reopening the web browser,which makes you lose all your current tabs and data."
"This computer is so awful. I hate it. It is sooooo slow. The design is bulky and ugly. The casing is cheap and flimsy. The computer itself is super slow and unreliable. The keyboard stops working without warning and so does the trackpad. The screen is pixely and disgusting . Do NOT buy this computer. You can buy a much better computer for wayyyy cheaper The only thing that is ok is the fingerprint unlock feature. The Battery is awful and doesnt last."